Monday, February 17, 2014

The Power of Unplugging

I posted this to my Facebook on Saturday morning:

"While I have found some very enlightening things on Facebook, such as articles on going green and the beautiful video of Ellen Page coming out - Facebook has held me back. It's an addiction, apparently. I have been up for *three hours* and still haven't *eaten* because I've been sitting in front of my computer checking out Facebook. (Well... and paying some bills, but whatever.)

Facebook has become a drain on my IQ. Has blocked what little creative process I have. Has taken up time I could be cleaning, organizing, LEARNING, creating.

"'Liking' something cultured and thoughtful on Facebook is not the same as BEING cultured and thoughtful. 'Be the change you want to see in the world.' Go out and create. Enlighten yourself. Unplug and expand." - Me

I'm going to unplug from Facebook for a while in hopes to sort out my life, get things done and most importantly... create. If anyone else feels they need to do the same, I invite you to both share this (before logging off, hah) and join me."


Now I realize not all users of Facebook have this problem... But I know there are others like me who let it consume them. Who procrastinate and whittle down their worth by spending unnecessary time looking at LOL Cat pictures, repeated weather updates and other stupid anecdotes slapped on eCards. (And insert any other commonly seen Facebook nonsense.) There's a time and a place for mindless browsing, but we shouldn't allow it to use up all of our precious time. We're only on this Earth for so long. We were meant for much more than staring at a screen all day! (I say this as a gamer and avid internet user.) 

If you feel the same or know someone who could use this as motivation to unplug - please share!

2 comments:

  1. I really need to unplug & get shit done but I can't seem to motivate myself to do so.

    ReplyDelete